PROVERB AND RIDDLE
In our culture, have you heard these expressions?
– Hemat pangkal kaya
– Besar pasak daripada tiang
– Ada udang di balik batu
Can you tell the meaning? Those examples are called peribahasa in Indonesia or proverbs in English
Every culture has a collection of wise sayings that offer advice about how to live your life. These sayings are called by proverbs.
Example : Time is money = waktu adalah uang. (Waktu sangat berharga atau penting, maka manusia harus menggunakan waktu sebaik mungkin). Proverb and riddle
Kinds of Proverbs
1. Aphorism (pepatah). This proverb offers advice.
Example; Don’t go too far in small. (persoalan kecil jangan dibesar-besarkan)
2. Parable (Perumpamaan). That has a moral lesson and has parable
Example: To carry coals to Newcastle (Bagai membuang garam ke laut)
3. Slogan (pemeo). This proverb give spirit or motivation
– Early bird gets worm ( Tuhan akan memberikan rezeki kepada makhluk-Nya yang lebih dahulu bangun)
– Diligence is the mistress of success (rajin pangkal sukses)
It as a pharse that has group of words with a different meaning from the meaning of all the individual word.
– Pull your sock up (improve your behavior)
– You can arrange your bedroom at will (sesuka hati)
– Don’t mention it (You’re welcome)
Social Functions of Proverb
- Proverb have a function to teaching, enlightening, and persuading people. Proverbs play many roles in society. The most common role is to educate on what might happen if they do something. A proverb contains wisdom, truth, morals, and traditional views.
- Proverb has been and remains a most powerful and effective instrument for the transmission of culture, social morality, manner, and ideas of a people from one generation to another. The proverbs deal with knowledge, experience, hard work, and human relations.
- Proverb and provebial sayings have for centuries been equally popular with all nations, despite their regional diversities, and crearly, for the impact the have made.
- Proverb can be used to tech people, give them some advice, help in difficult situations, show people what the most important thins in life, and show the proper way in life.
- Proverbs are very often used in personal interaction.
- Proverb can also be used mock someone or criticize.
Stucture of Proverbs
Proverbs often from clusters that share a common structure.
– Opposite parallel
– Similiar parallel
– Single statement
– Statement with an explanation
– Descriptive list
– Use of clause or instruction
Characteristics of Proverbs
- Proverbs can be as short as two words. In addition, the full forms of popular longer proverbs are often replaced by elliptical allusions.
- Proverbs use prosodic devices that enhance their memorability, especially rhyme, alliteration, parallelism, as ellipsis.
- Proverbs often use simple rhetorical devices, metaphor, hyperbole, paradox, and personification.
A riddle is a type of poetry that describes something without actually naming what it is, leaving the reader to guess. It is a light hearted type of poetry which involves the reader. Riddles can be about anything, from riddles about animals to riddle about objects. There are no rules on how to structure a riddle poem, a riddle can be funny or it can rhyme, it depends on the person writing the riddle.
1. It’s an animal. It’s an orange black. It has stripes. It has four paws. It lives in the jungle. What is it? It is a tiger.
2. I have three eyes, all in a row. When the red one opens, all freeze. I am traffic light.
3. Example of Rhyming Riddle
I come in different style.
I can help you walk for miles.
Come in pair
I’m something what you wear
With heels I’m glam
CAn you guest what I am?
I am a shoes.
Social Function of Riddle
A riddle is a statement, question, or phrase that has a double meaning. It is an amusing game for children and adults. Today riddle aren’t used as much as they were in ancient times, but they remain a definite way to get your mind working.
- When someone uses a riddle, it can be a thought provoking challange to figure it out on your own, or it can be a funny comment that makes you laugh. Riddles can be great brain busters or conversation starters to get you think. Riddle games have been played since times, and are still being played today.
- Riddles have significant roles. They include roles that may be described as cultural, educative, intelectual, ideological, cosmological, and political. Riddles teach logic about the social and cultural environment, social norms, history, biology, and much more.
- Riddles can help in memory training for children as they are expected and encourage to remember the correct answers to the riddles. Riddles also can help to introduce a variety of vocabolaries. They also provide opportunities to play phonetic, morphological, grammatical, and semantic games as they exhibit a variety of linguistic expressions and structure.
In conclusion, riddles have a role in the education of communities and in development of analytical thinking lies the fact that the answer to the riddle is already known to the audience.
Structure of Riddle
Riddle have no form set. Riddles can be a question with a quick witty answer. They can be just a sentence that makes you have a sudden realization. We can also create riddles from words that rhytme with a word in a riddle’s answer, other word and phrases that use the funny part of an answer.
Characteristic of Riddle
A riddle is a verbal puzzle, an enigmatic statement, description, or question posed by one person to another, or to a group, who have to guess the answer. We use the term loosely for more than one kind of puzzle. However, the riddle proper relies on imagery for its effects; often quite poetic imagery. Some riddles use pronoun “i” even though the word that should be guessed is a thing. For example : “If you have me, you won’t to share me. If you share me, you haven’t got me. What am i?” The answer is “a secret”.